Momentary Spring

It's a gorgeous day here in central Virginia, and Wiley and I will be out on a walk soon, but first, I thought I'd check in.  I've been weaving a little obsessively when I get time.  I've finished the mint green warp, with three shawls.  One went as a gift, but the other two are going into my "inventory."  Okay, they are actually all of my inventory. 



 But I did finish the first Ancient Rose scarf, in the pink and green colorway, and have started a new one I think is delicious.  The weft is some Egyptian cotton I bought in 2014 on the East Tennessee Yarn Crawl.  I don't remember which store, but a couple of months later, I found another skein--again, no recollection where--in a different but equally yummy color way.

And that brings me to my newest warp, 8-shaft Huck lace.  I gave Tootsie a spa day, scrubbing her down with Murphy's wood soap, then a lavish coating of Harvey's Feed & Wax and a couple days of rest.  I pulled out an old warp from at least 2016, maybe before, of a rayon-flax blend in a vey homely color.  I impulse-bought that yarn from Smokey Mountain Spinnery because it was $15 a cone.  I think the shop owner even tried to discourage me from buying both cones, but I was determined.  I could always dye it!  But I think the second skein of Egyptian cotton really goes well with it, and the drape of the yarn is lovely.  


Tootsie's spa day

My job is a little draining some days, and going into the studio whenever I can is so restoring.  I put on music with no words, and Wiley settles in beside me, and I just get lost.  I get frustrated sometimes, make mistakes sometimes, go for too long without standing up sometimes, but making things is so much more rewarding than what I do for money.  I won't make weaving my job, won't fall for that "Do what you love and the money will follow" trap again, but If I could make enough money to buy more yarn or upgrade my equipment, or maybe just have the satisfaction of it, it would be worth it.  I've saturated my family and friends with handmade things for the time being but not my urge to make more things, so it will be worth a try to see if I can make my hobby pay a little.

Wiley has fallen asleep behind my chair, so we'd better get outside.  I hope spring has come to stay, but just in case, we're going to enjoy it today!  







Comments

Popular Posts