Sewing Room Wednesday

 The Sewcation continues apace.  I haven't really even paused, except to work, more than I want to.  I have had single days off for the last two weeks, and it continues through the next week, but I persevere!  I have fallen deeply in love with my Bernina 730 Record.  I thought it needed its lower belt replaced, but when I pulled it out of its box, it was fine.  I'm still discovering how to use it, still figuring out things like buttonholes and its reverse serging stitch.  But I love the way it smells!  Has anyone else noticed the way an old manual machine smells?  It's kind of a lovely old oil smell.  And maybe that's weird, but I do love it.

And with the Record, I can have two projects going at once.  The Virtuosa 150 is smooth and slick, and I know just what buttons to push when I need something done.  It doesn't smell like anything, but I know it'll do what it's asked.
Right now, the Record is working on a springtime dress, a light, lovely cotton print I bought about 5 years ago.

And the Virtuosa is about to start a new pair of pants.  I just finished a pair of Worker Trousers from The Modern Sewing Company.  I learned how to do a button fly, and at long last, made a pair of pants that fit me.  I quit a long time ago trying to make pants that fit me, especially when you can get a pair of pants ready-made for less than you pay for fabric to make a pair.  But I really like the style of these pants, and am very glad I kept at it, even though it took three weeks!

I'll wear them today with the finished flannel shirt that I talked about last post.  I've already worn it once, but it looks so perfect with these pants, I can't resist.  












A blast from the past is a skirt I had languishing in the bottom of a box, and I was worried about finishing it, since I was positive it wouldn't fit.  Well, I tried it on before I hand-picked the zipper in place, and it did fit! I hand-picked the zipper with beads so it shows, and liked it so much, I beaded the kick pleat top.  It's very fancy, so I'm not sure when I'll wear it, but it goes perfectly with a knit cardigan I also finished last week.


I've been knitting, too, mostly at work when I'm answering phone calls, but nothing new to show yet.  And the weaving studio at the other end of the house stands sadly neglected.  I'm having the realization that I'm sure many retired people have, that all that time I thought I'd have is still not enough.  


Let me leave you with this:  my gorgeous camellias finally in bloom. They're right outside my bedroom window, so I admire them twice daily while I brush my teeth.  

Back to the sewing room!


Comments

LA said…
My word, Maggie! You are having a blast with your sewing machines!!! Lovely projects!

Popular Posts