My Beautiful Studio


 After being in Virginia for ten months, I have finally put my studio in order. And I have to say, it is the most beautiful studio I have ever had, and probably, the most beautiful studio ever.  You can think yours is better all you like.  You're wrong.  Sorry, but the truth is, this is it.
  I took a panoramic shot, but it didn't come out quite right, so I just took shots of each space.  On the left, poor Jennifer was left in pieces all this time, even had a long try on Craig's List, with only one potential buyer who kept trying to beat me down on price, only to say Jennifer was too big and not counterbalance.  Whatever!  I put her back together yesterday, and she will go back to weaving rugs, her happy place.

 Tootsie has been rethreaded with the Swedish Lace dishtowels that didn't go well the first try.  Her plain weave is so far, so good, and the pattern will be checked this afternoon.
  Jenny has her next warp draped over her, the indigo warp I dyed with Pam and Lillian last fall, with two prospective wefts, one Angora, and the other Alpaca-Tencel blend.  Which kind of lusciousness will I choose?  And the pattern is the Ancient Rose from Davison, something I used for the weaving-with-embroidery-floss from Tuesday Weavers many years ago.  I just put the pattern into Weave Design, but need to center it better before I get started.  
  I thought it would be nice to have lace on one loom and overshot on the other so I can simply turn around on the bench and weave something new every so often.





As you can see, I have plenty of yarn to do whatever weaving I want right now!  Mom has given me all her stash, but it's not as though I didn't already have a lot.  It's really something to see it all out at once.  Kind of makes mortality loom large, no pun intended!  I sure don't want to leave a ton of yarn to my heirs who won't want it!  Weave fast, Maggie!  Because if I ever do run short, well, they make more yarn everyday!

 I am so excited to have the Navajo loom set up for the first time since 2008!  Right now, it's only holding warps, but how pretty they are!  I will get a warp on it eventually, and have it up high enough that the cats can't sharpen their claws on it.  That's what happened to the one and only warp it's had, and I need to beware.
  Not that cat's are allowed in the studio!  But somehow, they sneak in.  Right now, Weft is sleeping in a bag of yarn by my right foot.
 

 One of the bookcases is holding knitting yarn, and I have been busy knitting, for sure.
I finished the Birkin by Caitlin Hunter in time for Mom's birthday in November, finished my Thea Colman sweater in October, and then made my sister one just like it, just done the day before Christmas!  That is definitely the most sweaters I have ever made in one year!  
  And now, I'm working on a black cardigan in mistake rib for myself, and have joined the Lace/Cable KAL from Fruity Knitting, with the Ocracoke Cardigan by Shirley Paden.  It's all lace, and takes all my concentration.  When I need to knit, but can't concentrate, the mistake rib cardigan jumps into my hands, but early mornings are for the lace cardi.  It's going to look lovely with a pair of jeans and a white shirt.
   Know what else looks amazing? This girl!  She was born under my neighbor's shed, and was abandoned when she was only 4 weeks old.  She was starving to death when I finally trapped her and brought her inside.  She had to eat kitten formula for three weeks, which by the way costs a fortune!  And now, dear Huck Lace is 4 months old, cute as a button, smart as a whip, and plays and plays all day.  She gets along pretty well with Purl, who just turned one in November herself.  She avoids Weft, but he's replaced Leo as the curmudgeon of the house.  
  That's all the fibery news from here.  I'm looking forward to my first full year here, gardening and weaving and meeting new fibery friends.  Though it's a bit late, Happy New Year to all!




Comments

LA said…
You are so right....that IS a FINE studio!!!! Isn't it wonderful getting all your looms ready to go again! Just having your books handy is such a treat. Enjoy!!!
Tina J said…
There you are!!! It looks like you have settled in a good place, it is good to see all of the looms in place and ready to go isn't it.

Popular Posts