Mom



This week, I lost the person who taught me to love fiber, food and flowers.  My mom, Joyce Hoffman, passed away Monday, after a long battle with cancer.  She is the one responsible for my room full of looms, the other room full of fabric, and my never-ending curiosity about food and its possibilities.  She gave me my first garden plot, a shaded square by the carport, when I was five, and she helped me plan another garden that nestled in between the chimney and kitchen when I was nine.  I am who this person helped make me, both because of who she wanted me to be, as well as who I didn't want to be.
  As I sat by her bedside for the last three months, I knitted sweaters and socks, fumbled with embroidery and kept her t.v. humming with programs on architecture and DIY, things we neither are good at but both love to think about.  
  I hope she's where she imagines the afterlife to be, hanging out with people she's missed, walking with our childhood dogs, a world without pain.  This picture is one LouAnn posted on Loomy Tunes this week, and it perfectly captures Mom's joy when weaving, with such a lovely group as the Tuesday Weavers.  This is how I'd like to remember her, with that smile.
  

Comments

LA said…
Oh, Maggie....I loved your Mom! I have so many wonderful memories of her, and I love to tell the story of her making you knit for 20 minutes every night. You told me that you pretended to be Helen Keller and would knit with your eyes closed. That's one of the reasons you are such a fabulous knitter now!!!! The next time we're together, we'll lift a toast (or two) to this wonderful lady!!!!

Popular Posts