Welcome, Spring!


 I love spring in the southeast.  And I love hard-working perennials, some of which you see here from around the yard.  Later today, when the sun is a bit higher, I'll finish the front flower bed and the herb garden.  I tried a little while ago, and the soil was just too cold for my hands.

    So I'm cutting out two more pairs of the Worker's Trousers from the Modern Sewing Company, and then two of the Classic Shirt pattern.  No photos yet, but I finished the fuchsia blouse from the adapted 1991 pattern. I'll make it again, but a little shorter and take in the enthusiastic dolman sleeves a little.  I did get a nice compliment on the blouse at work yesterday, and I do like it, but that's the reason I sew:  to modify things to my taste and my body.

    I thought I'd finished the green Baby Gansey sweater this week, with a few yards to spare, was so excited, sewed it up and stepped back to admire it, only to see that I probably should have counted the stitches I picked up on the left sleeve after I finished the right one.  Now, I have to rip them both out, re-knit them both, and finish the last inch or so in another yarn, a lovely alpaca blend that matches the color exactly.   Always good to have a plan B, especially when one is too lazy to count pick-up stitches.  A wise man once said, "If you didn't have time to do it the first time, why did you make it so you'd have to do it a second?"  Or something like that.  It's more toddler size than infant size, anyway, so I do have time.   

    I didn't finish the afghan with hearts yet, and can I make a confession?  I do not like to crochet.,  The only reason I'm going to persevere is that I love the hearts, and I don't think knitting it would have the same effect.  The surrounding crochet stitches necessary to make the square are far too hole-y, and I really don't like them.  I don't like the motion of crochet, and I have a lot of trouble following the pattern.  Enough whining!  But I will finish it.  I do love the yarn, and I think it will be lovely.  A friend suggested I put it aside for now, and give it as a Valentine's gift, a lovely idea.  I might, but I doubt I'll leave it simmering that long.

    The baby shower was nice, and I had a lovely visit with Matt and Rachel-Kate.  One morning, I walked around Radnor Lake State Park, and saw Blue Herons building their nexts and tending their babies, and saw a pair of Bald Eagles doing the same.  

    I'm having a lot of trouble with Blogger right now, trying to load the pictures, so I hope you enjoy what I'm able to add.  Moving the photos around in this platform is so frustrating!  





Blue Herons nesting
    



Rachel-Kate is modeling the finally-finished Baby Surprise jacket.  The real surprise is that I finished it.  I've clearly made a mistake, since the edges are supposed to be square, but it is finished and she likes it, which is what's important.  I do love the multi-colored car seat blanket. It's bright and cheerful.  When it falls down between the car seats, they'll be able to find it!


I'm going to give up trying to add more photos for now, and go walk Wiley on this gorgeous spring morning.  I hope you're able to enjoy it, too!



Comments

Popular Posts