Busy Work

 Merry Christmas, everyone!

    It's bitterly cold here today, as it is in most of the eastern U.S., so I'm inside with my furry entourage.  I'm finished with preparing for Christmas, boxes already received, local presents wrapped, and I'm trying to decide if I should make more cookies, and distribute them to my neighbors.  Every time I go outside, the wind takes my breath away and I think staying inside all day is a great idea.  I'd like to make the cookies, but I think I won't.

    My sister and I are having birria, a Mexican chili-loaded stew, and I bought some fresh tortillas.  I'll bring beer, limes and maybe some butter cookies.  And I'll bring my stocking and grab hers, so we can meet in the morning for cinnamon rolls and presents.  Then tomorrow night, we'll have prime rib, mashed potatoes, broccoli raab and apple cider doughnut cake.  

    This is why there are New Years' resolutions, right? So we can lose all the weight accumulated between Thanksgiving and New Years!

    I finished everyone else's knitting yesterday, and finished one of my Christmas socks, but the other one will have to wait until next fall.  And I was so excited that I'd finished all my gift knitting early, I cast on two projects yesterday.  
  I think I can safely tell the world now that--drum roll, please!--I'm going to be a grandmother!  So one of those projects is a sweater.  It's an adorable cardigan, with a yoke of sheep across the top.  I cast on, and knitted a few rows of the blue sky after the grey ribbed neck.  The pattern is Sheep Yoke Baby Cardigan by Jennifer Little, and it's free on Ravelry.  I must say that one thing I don't like is that she tells you to increase down the yoke, but not where, only indicating the rows, but warns not to make them in the same places or it will make it ugly.  Maybe I don't knit top down enough to know when to increase without help, but then again, it's a free pattern, so I guess I can do some math.  I prefer raglan sleeves, where I know when and where to increase!

The other thing I cast on was socks for my son, the only one on my list who didn't get socks for Christmas (besides me, but that doesn't count), and appreciates my hand-knitted socks.  I'm knitting the heels, toes and possible cuffs in a lovely wine-red, and knitting the bodies in a fun, quickly-changing blue-green-red-white hand-dyed yarn.  I'm about an inch above the red toes this morning, but I had to stop knitting because my hands were aching.  They're 2x2 rib, so I can take them to work to knit when I'm working the Info Line, so they should be done soon.
    Since I'm stuck inside today, I could do a few other things other than knitting.  Like cleaning.  No, it's Christmas Eve.  Or sewing.  Nah, don't feel like it.  Or weaving?  Maybe.  Maybe I should wind some warps.  Because when it gets warmer, which is supposed to happen by Tuesday, I really need to do some dyeing!  
    One of the cookies I managed to get done this week for my co-workers was Biscotti, and I share a very simple recipe with you that you can make as fancy or plain as you like.
    Well, whatever I decide to do, I will let you know next week.  Have a wonderful holiday weekend!


BISCOTTI
makes about 48

Cream together:
    5 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
Add:
    2 eggs
Mix completely, then add:
    1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
    zest of one lemon or 1/2 an orange (optional)
Combine the above just until mixed, then add:
    1 1/2 cups of chunky items, such as:
        toasted hazelnuts and chocolate chips
        toasted almonds and dried cherries
        toasted macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips
Use your imagination, but don't make them too chunky, or they'll be hard to form.
Divide dough into two equal parts and roll on a lightly floured table into tubes about 12 inches long.  Place on a paper-lined sheet pan and pat lightly to flatten to about 3/4 to 1 inch thick.  Bake at 350' F for about 20-22 minutes, or until firm.
Allow to cool to lukewarm, then slice on the diagonal, about 1/2 inch thick.  Return to the paper-lined sheet pan and bake for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Allow to cool completely before bagging or drizzling chocolate over them.
These will keep for about a week, or in the freezer about a month.




 


Comments

LouAnn said…
Such great news...especially at this time of the year! I know someone will never be cold! Merry Christmas, my friend!

Popular Posts