Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Turned Overshot: What I've Learned

The bathroom curtain project in turned overshot is off the loom this morning!  I still had about 18 inches of warp to go, but couldn't get a clean shed anymore.
You can see in this photo that the right side is raised, but the left side is only partially raising.  For the last two motifs, I had to use the shed stick to clear a shed completely.  In fact, a clear shed was a problem for most of this project.  I believe that's from the tabby being on shafts 5 and 6, farthest away, and quite heavy, since the bulk of the project is tabby.
  Turned overshot, for those who missed the beginning of this project, is when an overshot pattern is turned 90 degrees; the weaving is done with one shuttle, the ground thread, and the pattern colors are threaded in the warp.  The pattern is threaded twice the e.p.i. that the ground is, so for this pattern, it was 24 for the ground and 48 for the pattern.  The piece is threaded on six shafts and treadled on four treadles, each treadle tied to three shafts, and each shaft carrying a tabby thread.
  I love traditional overshot.  I love the way the pattern appears before your eyes as you weave.  I can easily get in the habit of throwing two shuttles.  I've woven four overshot projects so far, but only have a photo of one of them.   This is my first weaving on Jenny, my LeClerc Artisat.  It's pillow covers for my living room, Murphy's Diaper pattern from Davison's book.  It was done with natural pearl cotton as the ground and six colors of pearl cotton for the pattern.  The leftover yarn from the pattern in these pillows are the pattern colors in the turned overshot bathroom curtains.
  The ground in the curtains is white unmercerized cotton, which was a little sticky, but I think any yarn will be sticky in turned overshot, since the e.p.i. is so close.  Threading took a long time, too.  The ground was 480 ends, and the pattern was 72.
This was the project I tried to warp back to front and had to switch to front to back halfway through.  The warp was a mess!  How I make myself keep going when I get myself into messes like this, I will never know!  But I did persevere, and get it on the loom.  Many a curse word was said, many a pet was frightened by my outbursts, but the warp did go on!  I will most assuredly warp the next turned overshot project back to front!  Too many threads to wrestle into submission for front to back!
  I will definitely do more projects this way.  In fact, the next project will be the kitchen curtains, with a large daisy pattern from Davison, the pattern I used for the tote bags I made at the center a couple of years ago.  I wish I had a photo, or that one of the bags was still around, because it was one of my favorite weaving projects to date.  I will take many photos this time, as soon as I can figure out how to thread the tabby on shafts one and two.
  I think turned overshot is the perfect way to have a pattern running through a piece without having it be entirely in overshot.  It is perfect for trimming an otherwise plain fabric.  It's a brain-teaser to turn an overshot pattern, but I like the results.  I hope I've inspired others to try it!
  Time to go get my next warp on!

3 comments:

Theresa said...

It looks great, and I love that the pattern trims a clean tabby field. Inspiration enough for me!

LA said...

Turned overshot is on my list to do, but wayyyyyy down the line. I'm glad you've got the method worked out!

Jeanne said...

Thanks for the explanation of turned overshot! It makes absolute sense and I can see why you'd like it. The final product is lovely - so I'm glad you persevered with your unruly warp. Regular overshot is on my to do list, but that list is pretty long with all the things for a new weaver to explore!