Mindful Weaving

Or, It's Not Always the Loom's Fault
I've been in the studio a lot these early mornings, because I am still getting up as early as a pastry chef, but not actually going to work until 9:30.  I've been weaving along on the dish towel warp on Tootsie, after several detours, and I was enjoying it, took this picture, and then proceeded.  Below is what happened next.  I didn't notice that the lace squares weren't alternating until the next set was done.  That was disheartening, but not enough to unweave 29 rows to make it right.  That's all right, I told myself.  The first towel will be mine!  And then, I noticed all the skipped threads on the second to farthest left square.  Well, this towel will definitely be mine, I told myself.  And after I put in the tape measure to keep track of the length--these towels are 25" x 36"-- I saw that the wefts had been busy wrapping themselves around the clips on the tape measure.
 This is when weaving makes me curse.  I scare the cats and the dog thinks I'm yelling at her and I feel bad.  It's a hobby.  It's supposed to be relaxing.
  But really, it's my fault, of course.  I don't pay attention. I get so excited, especially in this case when I hadn't woven in so long, and just can't be bothered with noticing all that can go wrong.  
  So I slowed down and started to pay attention.  I still notice my mind drifting other places, to work or relationships or money or other things, and that is inevitably when things go wrong and I have to rein my brain back to the present.  
  I wonder why spell-check doesn't think unweave is a word.  We all know it is just as important as unknit.


  After weaving the natural dish towels, and knitting a gray sweater for the last three weeks, I needed a little color.  I went through the dyed warps I have waiting, and picked the indigo multi-fiber warp from our dyeing afternoon two Octobers ago.  I decided it would look perfect in a scarf, using Bertha Gray Hayes' Bomber Flight pattern, finally using it in a scarf for my sister.  But now that I work in aviation, too, I'm going to make one for each of us.  
  I'm not thrilled with the extra long floats, but the alpaca-tencel-wool weft is pretty sticky, and I'm hoping it will full enough to prevent any big snags when worn.  I'm beading the hem-stitching with opaque crystal beads, and have about 9" woven so far.  They have to be shorties, because there's only about 4 yards of warp, but I don't think my sister likes long scarves like I do.

Yesterday, I sat down with my knitting to watch the latest episode of Fruity Knitting--if you don't watch it on YouTube, you need to!--and got immediately covered in cats.  It wasn't very comfortable, but oddly comforting.
  Back to the studio.  Have a fine, fibery week.



Comments

Sharon said…
I added four “mine” towels to my pile of kitchen towels a just couple of weeks ago. I haven’t used my early towels in a long time so took eight of them to the Classy Junque Sale at our church that supports our community garden. They’ve had a lot of use but stil have a lot of use left in them. I priced them at $5 and all sold so that’s $40 toward worm castings compost, seeds, mulch and repairs on the greenhouse. We’re already in planning meetings and will be ready to got as soon as this snow melts, probably another month yet. So much snow - they’re calling it Snowmageddon.

Popular Posts